Thursday, May 13, 2010

Why so many?

Walking through Wal-Mart today with my Thai friends, we tried to prepare their house for a guest coming in town. First, we looked at the towels. After buying a bathtowel, I asked if they wanted a handtowel and washcloth. He asked what's the washcloth used for. I explained and he said they just use a handtowel instead of a washcloth. Come to think of it, most the time, my Thai housemates traveled with only a handtowel for all purposes. Why do we Americans have so many towels??

Then when I thought the hard part was over, we looked at sheets. Bedshams, fitted sheets, flat sheets, comforters... I tried to explain the difference in fitted sheets and flat sheets. I think in Thailand we just tied knots in the corners and used flat sheets for everything. Then twin, double, queen, or king?? I tried to explain the difference, to which they responded with confusion. Why not just have a mat to roll out?

Oh, there are simpler ways.

1 comment:

Crystal said...

too true, melanie...sorry I missed you tonight...I'll try to catch you tomorrow.