Sunday, May 2, 2010

Book Review


The Planting and Development of Missionary Churches, by John L. Nevius
Goodreads.com's review: The classic work that changed the face of foreign missions over a century ago bears rereading by each new generation of foreign missionaries. Nevius' respect for the integrity of indigenous populations grew out of his love for the apostolic mission of the early church recorded in the Book of Acts.

My summary so far: A missionary to Korea, and third-generation missionary at that, gave me this book to read. It is about 150 years old, written by a missionary to China who was giving directions to some of the first missionaries to Korea. I'm only two chapters in so far. The first two chapters cover how to think about hiring nationals as you begin a church-planting team. I'd highly recommend the small book to any missionary with the goal of church-planting internationally. It's printed in very limited locations. If you are interested in a copy, let me know.

2 comments:

Crystal said...

we'd like a copy! love you melanie!

Linda Beerbower said...

Hi Melanie,
I am a kindergarten teacher at Carmel Christian School, and I would like to order a copy of the book. Also I would love to be one of your monthly supporters and intercessors. I would prefer to give by mail if that is ok.
Praying for you,
Linda Beerbower