Monday, February 28, 2011

Sandwich Man Part 3

He was there today. The Westerner who sells sandwiches beside the skytrain station. I felt it. Today would be the day I would interview him.

Up I went, trying to smile to not make him scared as I approached. (I can be intimidating to some people, you know.) Starting right in on the questions, I asked him what brought him to this profession. He said, "It's something to do." He went on to explain that his Thai girlfriend sells them on the other side of the station. I never got his name, but he did tell me he is Russian. In time, he and his girlfriend hope to find Thai people to take over the two sandwich stands--so sadly, he will not always be the Westerner street vendor.

He did refer to the "evil rivalry" happening between he and the Thai woman still selling sandwiches beside him. I could tell by his face that he was angry about her. She even sells them at the same price! I encouraged him in his endeavors and even bought a tuna and egg sandwich (the less weird of all combinations). He warned me that it was sweetened for a "Thai taste". I have to say it was ok, but I think I'll spend an extra 15 cents and buy a ham and cheese sandwich from 7-11 instead.

1 comment:

Crystal said...

I so funny..."evil rivalry." I mean it's not funny but just a funny use of words. and, I remember Paa At used to make me tuna and egg sandwiches with that Thai mayo that is sweetened...I had forgotten about them until you mentioned it...and made me hungry!!!=) Keep on pressing on Melanie. We are praying for you!