Thursday, February 24, 2011

Sandwich-Selling Competition

As I get off the bus and onto the skytrain everyday, I walk down a sidewalk full of street vendors selling fried bananas, fresh-squeezed oj, fried rice, pork, hairbands, alarm clocks...you name it. They are usually all sold by Thai people, obviously.

BUT for the last two days, a Westerner has been out there with his own table selling sandwiches! It's not abnormal to see some people selling sandwiches, but a Westerner? That was the surprise yesterday. The chuckle came today when a Thai person put up a table right in front and to the right of his ALSO selling sandwiches! When I passed, a customer approached and went to the Thai table to buy from the Thai sandwich-seller! The Westerner appeared to be getting upset, with his hands out, and he was saying, "Come on! Buy from me!"

I am left questioning why the Thai person has started this competition? Why has this Westerner even decided to become a street vendor? I wonder who makes better sandwiches? IF he is there again tomorrow, I'm going to go ask him!

1 comment:

Nathaniel said...

I really want to know the answer...please let us know if you talk to him. Cool!