Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Can I handle the Spice?

A "curry" with eggplant, cabbage, and greens cooked with pork in a broth of some sort. (Don't ask me, I can't cook!)

Okay, so I might have bragged a bit while in the US about my ability to handle spicy food. What can I say? After having my mouth burn for so long, I adapted or would not have survived. Though I've tried, I could not keep up my abilities in the US, and they have dissipated. (Is that the right word? I'm trying to keep up my English skills while here.)


Last night was the first test. I ordered "Geng Ob" from my next door neighbors' restaurant. This dish is one of my favorites, but I ordered just a little spice blaming it on my need to adjust. Its from the NE side of Thailand where my Thai housemates are from, which has food full of flavor and SPICE! After just the first bite, I knew I'd have to take it slow. Thankfully no housemates were there to be ashamed at my inability. I couldn't finish it, but I will persevere! Tomorrow night, I go to Mahathai's prayer meeting. I'll probably eat dinner at my favorite cook's house. She's the best, but she's also who has taught me to handle spice after my mouth burns for that half hour. Keep up the prayers!

No comments: