Monday, September 13, 2010

Book Recommendation: A Praying Life

Today as I thought about how God's taken me out of my world again to bring me here, I wondered what he had for me here. It is true that though I come to serve the Lord and impact other people, I'm well aware that I will be the one most impacted. Living outside of all understanding and ability right now, I think this sense of being might be why I'm here. God is growing me to be more like Christ. And one big way of doing that is quitting trying to know what's next, and giving God my whole life and the controls to it.

So this book is all about bringing the idea of prayer back to being a conversation with God. Praying like a child, praying unceasingly, and as I read today, praying through anxiety. Here's a quote I liked, "Instead of trying to be out front, designing your life, you realize you are inside God's drama. As you wait, you begin to see him work, and your life begins to sparkle with wonder." Now that sentence is found at the end of a long chapter about praying in the chaos. Jesus came and lived on earth just like us, and entered complete anxiety to die for us. Now through him, we can have a relationship uninterrupted with God, and pray instead of take the whole world on our own shoulders and be anxious. I'm still working on that....of course.

1 comment:

Abby said...

Thanks so much, Melanie! This is the second time this week that this book has been brought to my attention...I think the Spirit will not let this go...think I need to get this book!

Loving you so much in Christ from Asheville,

abby