Monday, June 20, 2011

Jesus's Calling

I woke up this morning in a fairly awful mood. Praise God, I got out my journal and Bible to battle that mood! Not always the case. My present journey feels confusing. What is next? Could I have predicted this? Feeling somewhat trapped by culture. I come to a point where I ask myself how my relationship with God is. I love him, so, good. Yet, if I am questioning where he's leading me, then I'm questioning his goodness, so not good.

Then I started listening to a sermon of Tim Keller's from Mark 1:14-20 when Jesus called many of his disciples. Tim (hehe) talked about how Jesus's calling is different, drastic, developmental, do-able, but dangerous. Isn't it just like God to give me the sermon I needed to hear today?

Reminders:
-When I say, "I will follow you, if...." to God, whatever the if clause is shows me where my idols are.
-Self-centeredness is miserable for the self. It's not good. God can heal us.
-Jesus Christ's Kingship over me will not crush me because he has been crushed for me. (See Jesus do everything he's called us to do.)

New Things:
-When Jesus says he will make them "fishers of men," it was going to be a process. We have to follow him through all the difficulties without turning left or right, going back, or giving up, and we will slowly become people who can draw others from the darkness into the light. We will be healed from our self-absorption and able to serve others.
-"You will be dead so long as you refuse to die." -George MacDonald

2 comments:

Lisa said...

sweet friend. Thanks for posting this!

The Singlers said...

Tim Keller's sermons rock. The Lord has been using them lately to rock my world.

I really like how you said that He will not crush us, though He was crushed for us. Thanks.