Saturday, June 25, 2011

Upcoming Elections

"Worship! Worship! Worship!" That's what I thought I heard from the loud speakers coming from a truck echoing down the streets one morning. I had an image in my head from the book of Revelations when Jesus comes back and the angels are all singing in heaven. Of course though, that's not what the truck was saying. The campaigning truck was calling out "Ber Sip, Ber Sip, Ber Sip." which translates to "Number 10, Number 10, Number 10".

These are the common sounds of the campaigning season as the elections are quickly approaching for a new prime minister as well as parliament and possibly other government positions. The main campaigning strategies I see are those trucks driving around reminding people to vote for the number of their candidate and the posters. The posters are dramatic here. Everything from people pictured with animal heads to a guy pictured driving cars with his eyes crossed saying, "Aren't politics driving you crazy?"

Seriously, please pray for the elections. Those voting out-of-district in Bangkok go vote tomorrow. Then next week, the 3rd, is the final day of elections for everyone else. The government in Thailand needs lots of prayer for honest, caring politicians that desire to think of the people. We know from Proverbs that God controls the hearts of kings like he controls the route of rivers (something like that). But God also commands us to pray for our governments.

No comments: