Friday, June 17, 2011

Jesus and American History

Looked at as an "expert" on both of these things tonight, I had some good conversations while hanging out with two college guys and my teammate, NaamFon. First, they seriously asked me to name all 50 states, so they could repeat each after me using an American accent. (I'm sure I missed a few.) Then they wanted a brief history of the U.S. starting with the first exploration of the continent (and of course I had to include the Native Americans). You may know I have a history degree, so I love this kind of thing, but no one ever asks. These guys asked and listened! No yawns at all!

After that, we finished a conversation we started during the opening night for student outreach--about Christianity. It was really good to hear their views about Jesus and Christianity. More than anything, neither of them know much at all about Jesus. They grew up studying Buddhism at school from the age of eight. I'm always so amazed at the basic starting point yet so honored to share! We discussed the Bible, who wrote it, how, evidence, Jesus's birth, Israel, bad examples of Christians in history. My favorite question they asked was, "So, why did Jesus have to die anyway?" Please pray for G. and E. May God continue leading them to more questions and his answers.

1 comment:

The Singlers said...

yea for the history degree coming in handy! I so enjoy reading your blog and hearing how God is working and using you.