Saturday, October 30, 2010

Foreign yet the Same

I have never taken a philosophy class, partly because it wasn't needed for my major and partly because I had no particular interest. Yet as I study the Buddhist religion in my language class this month, I feel that I am in a philosophy class. I am trying to get my mind to step into another world of thought that has existed since about the time Jesus came to Earth.

God provided me with such a wonderful conversation a couple days ago. A new friend and I talked about religion together. I was able to use a lot of my new vocabulary to ask him questions about Buddhism and his way of thinking. He in turn, very curiously, asked me about Christianity. Amazingly enough, we understood each other most the time while speaking in Thai.

Please pray the Lord helps me to understand this Thai worldview in such a way as to speak his truth into it. Though Jesus may be a foreign idea to these people, He will bring such hope and light into their lives! We are all still people with the same needs--needs to be loved and rescued from our efforts to reach righteousness on our own. Thank you for your prayers.

No comments: