Sunday, October 17, 2010

The Buddhist Amulets

My homework is often used as a medium for God's glory to be shown to people. Yes, that is a weird sentence, but it is true and I am grateful. Through my microfinance homework in the USA, I met my Thai friends who helped me with my language as well as provided good opportunities to talk about the Gospel together. Now here I am with my Thai homework...
Last week, one story was about the Buddhist amulet necklaces. Most Buddhist wear a necklace around their neck with either a picture of Buddha or another monk on it. The amulet gives them power of some sort or another. I'm still growing in my understanding. My homework that night was to ask questions about the necklaces and Buddhism to Thai people (to help me in my Thai). I went to Mahathai and asked Noke for help (the middle woman pictured above). She replied that the Buddhist necklace is the same as we Christians wearing cross necklaces. So often, I receive this reply, "Oh, this thing we do as Buddhists is just like that thing you do as Christians." It's not the same! My friend Kieow stepped in to help explain that we don't believe the cross has any powers by hanging it around our neck. We believe God is in our heart--She explained it something like that.

Please pray for all of us to be clear in our presentations of the Gospel as we introduce Jesus to Thai people. I see so many confusions with those that have any experience with Christianity (which are few). Please pray God grows me in my understanding and ability to explain what I believe to Thai people.

No comments: