From a missionary devotional book, Voices of the Faithful, I found this small story yesterday which I really identified with. Thought I'd share.
"Missionaries are ordinary, everyday people. I grew up thinking they were superspiritual: that they didn't need money to live on becuase they had a extra dose of Jesus. Now I know better. I fall under the category of "missionary."
I thought becoming a missionary meant that I would have great stories to tell that would wow my Christian friends back home. My story, however, is of an ordinary person, struggling to learn a foreign language, frustrated because there is no such thing as privacy where I live, and battling thoughts of criticism directed toward people I am here to love. And my story is also about how God is changing this everyday gal, from the inside out, to live a life of divine proportions.
Mine is a marvelous story because he brought me all the way to East Asia to show me that I am complete in Him. He is teaching this weak individual, with human limitations and hang-ups, that His power truly is manifested in weakness. God's promises become real as I encounter the world outside or as I crack open the language book to study.
I am learning that it is not just about victories. It is also about obedience that costs, unrecognized sacrifices, and unanswered questions. Ultimately, it is about following Christ.
2 comments:
I identify with that too! Thanks for posting those encouraging words.
You're such a prolific blogger. It's fun to keep up with what's happening in your corner of the world.
That is a wonderful story. I hope it encouraged your heart. You could've written that, true?
Post a Comment