Transition Alongside of Me: A Former Missionary Returning to the U.S. of A.
Monday, July 7, 2008
Apple Pies and Fireworks
How did I celebrate America's Independence Day across the globe?
First, I made apple pie with my friend, Crystal. Though cooking isn't at all an even infrequent event in my life, I had an urge to make one.
Yet I found myself without an oven in my house or a pie pan! So, that's what missionary families are for! Isn't it pretty?
The American Embassy holds a pretty cool festival day--including American food, games, and music! Even the Marines visited, showing off the American flags for us. I got to hear from the American Ambassador to Thailand. He states that Thailand and the US have had one of the longest standing good relationships between countries in the whole world, lasting 175 years already!
And I found the Democratic and Republic tables, and was able to register for an absentee ballot. Yes, that guy is wearing a shirt that says "Bangkok for Barack." I had to ask for a picture, that was hilarious!
And I did find some fireworks there too! The end of a wonderful July 4th! And a happy birthday for my brother, James, who turned 30!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Wow, you are way more american than me! I didn't eat apple pie or see fireworks, good job Currie Burger!
We went to the Embassy party here in Costa Rica as well. Those embassy's can throw some happening parties can't they?! Love keeping up with you on the blog..hard to imagine it was a year ago that we celebrate the 4th together in NY.
That's AWESOME!! We managed to catch a few fireworks out at the island. It was fun, but kind of lonely. We are used to such a huge festival. Ah well - better get used to it. The US Embassy is too far away for us to get out to. Drat! Glad you enjoyed your time!
Post a Comment