Monday, June 30, 2008

Too-American Outbursts

1. This morning, while walking to the office, I saw a small form behind me about to pass me. In my head, I thought it was a little kid running fast to school. But as she passed, it was an elderly lady who came up to my waist only! I accidentally loudly exclaimed, "Wow!"

2. Yesterday at the Thai graduation ceremony of my Thai roommie and co-worker, a Thai professor was speaking. In the middle of a long run of Thai words, he said "burn-out" in English! We call it Tenglish when they don't have an equal Thai word so they use English. It always makes me laugh. It let out a small hiccup of a laugh before throwing my hand over my mouth.

3. The other day, while watching a movie at the theater, I forgot where I was. This gross part came on the scream involving throw-up, and I screamed "Disgusting!" Then, I remembered I was in a movie theater! In Thailand, where everyone is quiet! Aaah!

I will continue trying to think before speaking, but I just can't help it sometimes!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nong Mei... I can't believe you yelled out "Wow" at that little lady!

But I lauged when I read that, bc I can just picture you at that crazy flooded intersection getting passed up and making a little "American outburst" - great stuff!

Beck and I miss you guys lots. Praying you are doing well!

The Sooz said...

You got to work on that...