Thursday, June 12, 2008

What's Pink and Hairy and Grows on Trees?

Yes, surprisingly, FRUIT! This is my favorite Thai fruit presently. Yesterday I bought a kilo at the store for about 30 cents. To eat them, I have to pry them open with my thumbs between the funny hairs, or stab at them with a spoon. Then, just split the shell in half. After that, there's two choices. Pull out the fruit and nibble at around the almond like seed, or pop the whole thing in your mouth and spit out the seed. Thai people can do that, but I can't really do that very well.

When I came to Thailand, they'd show me this fruit and tell me the English name for it. But how is there an English name if we don't even have them in our side of the world? Anyway, English people call them Rambutan. But the Thais call it, Ngaw.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This is one of our favorites too! Unfortunately, they aren't in season here right now, so we aren't able to buy them. Too bad - but we know we can get them in Honduras also. I'm the nibble around the seed type - can't manage the whole pop it into my mouth and come out with a clean seed person :-)

John and Sue Burch said...

Are these called Lychees - They look like lychees that we had in Australia - is that right? Love you Mel - and Erin too since she entered into this conversation

Anonymous said...

They had those in Costa Rica too! They are yummy!

mikepettengill said...

Oh man I love those things...first had them here in Costa Rica.