I have finally mastered the skill! Oh, the many years I have struggled through buying things knowing that I'll have to begin the process of negotiating a price. I've always felt, though this is culturally a wrong perspective, that bartering is deceitful. Both the buyer and the seller are trying to psych the other person out. The seller acts like his merchandise is one of a kind and he cannot discount anymore because this is already the "special price." He knows the buyer has more money than him, so why not get it out of her. The seller of course does have the money, yet she is trying to get the object of her affection for a price closer to actuality. Why can't everyone just be honest?
Yet, around the world, the practice happens. It is well-accepted and culturally appropriate almost everywhere. I've just always been bad at it. I do NOT have a poker face, which is required for this practice. UNTIL NOW. Today, I did well. Was it that after being in this place for three years, I have more of an idea of how much things really are worth? Was it that the language skills have helped? Was it my winsomeness that won them over or were they just easy? Who knows. But, I walked up to those sellers. I started at half the price. I spoke in Thai, told them what I did, how long I've lived here, offered a price, and then paused for their answer. And I got what I asked for. Victory is mine! :)
1 comment:
ha, that's inspiring Mel... good job! :) surely your winsomeness had SOMETHING to do with it, plus the other factors...
Post a Comment