Saturday, May 24, 2008

Living with Them, not just visiting...

Within the 1500 slum communities here, God has raised up some of His people to go and live in those slums. Yesterday, I got to finally connect with some missionaries that I met way back two years ago at the Urbana missions conference. Since I heard them speak two years ago, God's placed on my heart the need to connect closer with the people you're ministering to. I know that I already live in Thailand, but I want more! Maybe. I'm praying a lot about it. But just to let you know to pray too. Maybe I could in the future here with my new friends at Mahathai?

They live in two different slums closer to the middle of the city. God has risen up house churches in these neighborhoods and people have come to know the Lord. They say its hard emotionally to care so much, but that's what we're supposed to do too. They have a cool sounding loan program too so that people can get small loans to start their own businesses, 75 people have successfully become business owners here. Kieow and I received some good encouragement and ideas to continue to grow in our work with Mahathai.

If you want to read further...here's some websites:
-Dave Van Stroh's website: http://vonstroh.net/
-His agency, Servant Partners' website: http://www.servantpartners.org/

2 comments:

Paulette and Jack said...

End of the Spear led me here. Curiosity led me to You know it's hot when . . . HOW true! Gets pretty hot here too. The Lord bless you as you seek to live a life that will draw others to Him. Crayons will be melting here soon : ). Saying a prayer for you as I read.
In Christ,
Paulette
Phil. 1:21

Unknown said...

hey melanie, i'm a teammate of dave's here in bangkok and i'm excited to meet you this friday. see you soon!

and great blog!