Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Culture Shock as a Housewife

Yesterday, I had a day when I definitely felt like a housewife. During my day off, I cleaned house all morning and then shopped for food and cooked for a family dinner all afternoon. Our house of girls have decided to have "family dinners" once a month, since all six of us don't have enough intentional time together.

While playing housewife, here's some funny culture shock stories:
-At the grocery store, Rachel said, "you know you've hit culture shock when you see a billion bottles of fish sauce and no caramel icecream topping!"
-Beef stroganoff becomes ground pork stroganoff
-You stick your leg out the front door to spray on mosquite repellant so you can cook in the kitchen without being eaten alive. The neighbors really enjoyed that!
-It pours down rain as you leave the grocery store, and you have to choose between taking a taxi for a short distance or getting soaked walking home.
-Its raining so hard on the tin roof over the kitchen, you have to scream at one another to know if you need more salt added to the stroganoff.
-If you need more flavor, you must decide between adding fish sauce or chili peppers!
-While waiting for the food to be ready, you watch a Chinese movie dubbed over in Thai.
-As you sit down to eat with your Thai roommates, you must explain how to eat this food. And though you call it American, as you describe the food you realize stroganoff is German?, the bread was French, and the Fettucini noodles are Italian. What is "American" anyway?

4 comments:

Ben said...

Beef stroganoff's actually Russian in origin, at least from what Wikipedia indicates.

They're big on the ground pork (or mixed pork and beef) here too.

Melissa said...

I love this story! Also, I just send the text to you yesterday, on the 19th, so I'm around all day to talk... if you get this :)

Unknown said...

Ahhh...the joys of living in another country and "trying" to make it "American" hehehe. Thanksgiving was an interesting attempt. Love your story, thanks for sharing!

Kim said...

Cute story. You must be shopping at Lotus with the no beef thing. You will cherish these adventures the rest of your life!