Thursday, September 1, 2011

Many Giants

While reading 2 Samuel 21:15-22, my devotion explained how the passage described how "giants troubled David right to the end of his life." [Search the Scriptures, by Stibbs] Wow, not only did David kill Goliath, but then Goliath's Philistine ancestors came against Israel to fight also. At least four more giants came to fight the Israelites. Why couldn't David's life just have one giant in it?

I ask that question of my own life right now? Was not the transition I just went through enough!? I know, that's not a good question to ask, and not correct theologically either. But it is a question my heart asks God.

Yet as I read on in 2 Samuel, chapter 22, David sings a song of praise to God. That song is so amazing, it is published in this book and the book of Psalms. David praises the Lord for being his rock, fortress, deliverer, shield, horn of salvation, stronghold, refuge, and Savior. (22:2-3) I don't have the answers to all my heart questions, as always. Life is still hard and I am facing more giants. Yet I strive to be like David as he nears the end of his life, praising the Lord. May these giants help me see that God fights them, not me. God will help me with each giant, and do it in such a way as to refine me and help me praise Him. Hallelujah.

3 comments:

-J said...

Yes, the questions might not cease, but the answers are found in the verse you quoted. As we say in Jpn, "Ganbatte!" (Keep on!)

Lara said...

Thank you for sharing....I definitely needed to hear it.

Elizabeth said...

Glad you are blogging! I wish I could keep up with it, too! I sent you an email last night. Any chance you'll be around tomorrow? :)