There's a flood warning out for Western North Carolina right now. As I drove down the road thinking about getting stuck in some deep water, I remembered my last night in Thailand. I'm sure I haven't shared this story because life just went pretty fast after that.
So, it was about 2am, the normal time of leaving for the airport when taking flights to the US. My send-off party of nine people piled into my friend M's car. The 4 college guys took the back of the truck while the 4 gals and M. were in the cab. It was raining. (Poor guys.)
As we drove, my housemate shared with M. about a shortcut to the airport. We cut the sharp left to follow the underpass, going under the highway which was so low our truck barely fit under it. I turned my head around fast to be sure the guys in the back ducked. Then we hit the water--deep water. So deep it reminded me of the aftermaths of Hurricane Hugo in Charlotte, NC in 1989. I'm sure the water reached the top of the wheels of M's pickup. Yet, he calmly drove through it. I was praying underneath my breath the whole time that God would help us get through it.
We did. We made it around the curve, out from under the underpass, and up the hill onwards to the airport. In all my time in Thailand, I think we should have had more flood warnings. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment