Kevin Blue lives in inner-city Los Angeles. Living where he lives, he passes the homeless everyday on the street and sees the situation of the needy in our society. Kevin recognizes God's call for Christians to seek after justice and care for the needy, "In the Bible orphans and widows, some of the most vulnerable people in ancient society, are representative of people in need. We are counseled to care for those in need who are vulnerable within our society." So he doesn't just pass by these people in his city. He interacts, he befriends, and he gets involved in their lives sacrificing comfort and ease.Part of what I hope to do while home, along with support-raising, is to take some time for training so I can better serve in the slum communities upon my return to Bangkok. The Lord has called my heart to that ministry, but I am still growing in knowledge. This book encourages me, as it should all of God's church, to be concerned about the squatters among us and with "evangelism and electricity, communion and community transformation, healing and health care, righteousness and land rights." Speaking more particularly about the "literally millions of squatters around the world who live in makeshift housing on land that they do not own in and around large cities" (like where I serve in Mahathai slum), he makes a large statement by saying that "if grouped together, [squatters] could be considered the largest unreached people group in the world"!! He has shown me the problem and I pray that He gives me wisdom, with the church in Thailand, to continue serving there.
No comments:
Post a Comment