I keep telling people that this "Reverse Culture Shock" is not hitting me. One person said I should be a puddle on the ground by now. But I still seem to be in solid form. I read a lot of books on this before arriving and psycho-analyzed myself to death at a Starbucks one night trying to be prepared for arrival. From what those books said and how I'm feeling, right now I'm struggling more with settling into my own place, the pace of life, and dealing with all the logistics!
The pace and laidbackness of Thailand was hard to get used to. I recognized when I had adjusted while helping a newcomer to Thailand. We were walking out of our church office to go somewhere. She asked me, "How are we going to get there?" I replied, "I don't know, we'll figure it out when we get to the end of the street." There we would encounter taxis, buses, two-bench truck taxis, and motorcycle taxis. I got used to the not knowing and being okay with the slowness of life. Maybe it was all the places I went while not understanding anyone else in the car with me.
No comments:
Post a Comment