In the Thai language, if talking to good friends, you can speak in third person. For example, if I'm telling my neighbors were I'm going, instead of saying, "I'm going to the market," I say "Melanie is going to the market." Wierd, huh? I was corrected for not speaking in the 3rd person this morning by one of my many friends that call themselves my teachers. So, I have a new resolution to speak in 3rd person more often. Did I mention how warped I'm going to be when I head back to America?
7 comments:
emily loves melanie and is so excited for all that melanie is learning.
Whatever. Katie enjoys third person and has actually been sent away from groups until she could converse in first. Melanie can talk to Katie in third person as much as she likes.
I can't wait. Because whe you get back, I will make you speak to me in Spanish. You will probably hate me then.
Tim already thinks you're crazy - Tim
Wow! That's crazy! It's more crazy then when I try and figure out if I should use the 2nd familiar or 2nd formal in Spanish - but I don't have to throw in another one when thinking about how I have to talk when I'M speaking! Crazy!
Doesn't royalty use the third person too? Have fun!
Becky likes thi because it sort of absolves Becky or Melanie of any wrongdoing that Becky or Melanie might convey by admitting something...."Becky accidentally left the door open so mosquitoes got in..." or "Melanie fell on the woman when Melanie forgot to hold on on the bus". this way it is not "i" who has done the wrong, but the third person version of ourselves...how's that?
Post a Comment