Friday, January 16, 2009

An Evening at Mahathai

Today I got hugged my three of the cutest little kids. They were playing in the dirt as I walked by. I squatted down to talk to them. Two of them jumped up and huggled me from behind. And one around my neck. It was just adorable. One is the crazy chubbier girl who runs around behind me with her shoes that don’t fit screaming, “Bay duay! Bay duay!” She wants to go with me everywhere. The other girl played Musical Chairs with me on Children’s Day. I carried her around and around the circle. Out of pure kindness, people let us win until there were about five kids left. And there was this cute boy who doesn’t hardly know me. I’m not sure if we’ve ever played together. Maybe we played Chase once. But it was the sweetest moments ever. I love Mahathai. I love it and all the people inside.

Then I sat with Bee and Bong and their gang who are about my age, even though its ackward to know if they like me to sit with them. But they seem to try to include me in our growing friendship. We ate pork balls and hot dogs with spicy sauce and cabbage together. It was the greatest thing. They shared their gossip that they call, “Hot News” with me. They told me about the sad story on the news about this poor 11 yr old girl who was prostituted by her father to pay for his alcoholic needs. The police got him. We talked about the price of iPhones. And we talked about how to make pizza. What random topics of conversation, but I was thankful to learn more and spend time with them.

And then I walked to the prayer meeting at the community center. Only we staff and Fern and Jane, two teenagers. But the opportunity to pray for that community just chokes me up. What a blessing of an evening.

No comments: