Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Being a Substitute Teacher

Yep, I can never run far from teaching. One of my teammates is on vacation, so I'm taking about four classes for her. I've taught English before to Japanese, Chinese, and Colombian. Not Thai and not full-on grammar. Past participles!! For those of you like me without that knowledge, that's when you add have + the particle of a verb like "I have already washed the dishes."

I had nine students, mostly my age-ish. One girl is in high school. They all have short nicknames here. Their real names are really long, so they are called things like "Yu" or "Moo" or "Gluay" (which means banana!). I think I talked really fast, but I smiled a lot which helps. Friday is my next class with them, and I have to combine past tense and participles!

Our team offers about seven English classes for about 60 students. From these classes, we establish some awesome relationships, hang out outside of class, and hope to connect them to our church and JESUS! Very fun because I know how to teach (somewhat) and they can speak English somewhat. Woohoo!

1 comment:

Lorraine said...

Wow! You mean you weren't teaching past participles to your fifth graders at Oakley? I'm shocked! We are way beyond that at West Buncombe...

I'm loving reading your blog! I'm glad you have something semi-comfortable to do right now. I remember those first weeks on the missionfield and how isolating it seemed to be with all of the other people who had found happy "busy-ness" somehow in a strange other-language speaking place.

Seems like we should have coffee to discuss our new school years...

Love ya!