





A week long trip to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. I will summarize the trip as a week of feeling comfortable again in a hotel, being reminded of how many missionaries God has around the world and what we're all going through, taking a quick trip to wander a forest, and most of all being reminded of how much God loves me.
Everything in the Malaysian forest was huge, including the leaf found on the ground. Once we reached the top of the canopy, KL was very visible below us. Looking up at the canopy from the trail, it looked like a cross between algae and broccoli!
Very striking differences between Malaysia and Thailand are found in the dominant religions. Malaysia is primarily Muslim, shown in the clothing, food (no pork toppings for pizza), and rituals. We were there during the month of Ramaddan and many were awakened and reminded of that five times a day by the drones from the Blue Mosque nearby. Thailand is predominantly Buddhist, making even the feeling of the country different. Yet both have a visible sobering need to know about a God who loves them no matter who they are or how many times they do things right.
4 comments:
Melanie -
I've enjoyed reading your blog over these past few weeks... I found you via Rachel's blog. Your posts have reminded me of the intensity of those first months overseas. Of course, you're in a very different place than I'm in, but I still relate to the emotions you're going through. I'm glad you enjoyed your conference. After 5 years "on the field" those kind of conferences are like family reunions to me now! I'm glad you were able to be around a bunch of cool people and hear some good teaching.
Just wanted to say hi from Montenegro!
Elizabeth
I love that image of the canopy from below. Sounds like a great time in Malaysia, and I've really enjoyed reading along with your adventures (though I feel like I'm getting set up for disappointment if I never see an elephant in the streets of Berlin).
watch out for ellie the elephant! sounds like a children's bk! i'm so glad you had a great time away. it's interesting how the religions affect the cultures so much by the way. i hope you're settling back in well. i love you!
Very cool. You are my favorite missionary...in Thailand...who is a girl...named Melanie.
Post a Comment