Monday, June 25, 2007

Living in a Tent

Moved out of my apartment on Saturday. Went and read in my Bible about when Abram left all he had, packed up the rest including his tent, and went where God sent him. I liked the chance to identify with someone else that God was calling to leave his family and friends, live in temporary housing (like a tent), and go in obedience to the unknown. I love how God directs us to passages that really give us encouragement right where we are. In Hebrews 11, it talks about what Abram focused on that helped him in his transition. He kept God's promise in his mind of God's eternal foundation ready for him as His greatest designer and provider. I wonder how Abram felt moving along in his tent, with his sheep, and Sarah past all the walled cities of permanence as He went where God called him.

5 comments:

Wayne Frazier said...

Melanie,
Abraham is just the right person for you to meditate on. Genesis 12 and Hebrews 11 give you God's perspective on your kingdom adventure. You are leaving your family, friends, country, and the familiar for God's call on your life. That's what we are all called to do in Christ. I can remember when Jane and I started the church plant in Florida in 1975. I thought I had gone to the "ends of the earth". It was so different from western PA. Then, we saw the Lord wonderfully draw people to himself as the gospel transformed their lives and suddenly, I realized that "HOME" is where God calls us to be and there is "No Place Like Home". Further, I realized that "HOME" is also God's people whoever and wherever they may be! You by God's grace will find that true for you!

Blessings in Christ,
Wayne Frazier

Unknown said...

Melanie,
I just read your "Living in a Tent" update. I admire you for following your heart. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Love,
Kathy

Rebecca said...

Melanie

Rebecca said...

Melanie,

Thanks for the recent email update that I did receive this week. Cool blog page! I have been thinking about you this morning and praying that God will prepare the hearts of all your new future friends in Thailand. He knows each of them by name.

Melissa said...

I just love thinking about the similarities between you and good ol' Abe! You're going to be an amazing missionary!