It seemed almost a sin to be "too serious" in Thailand. The word "serious" always seemed to have a negative connotation when people used it around me. Though most people say I smile all the time, I have been accused in Thailand of the dreadful sin of being "serious" quite a few times as well. My blog has recently been accused of being too serious, as have I. My accuser is right though. The hilarious stories of running into elephants and eating crazy foods have not shown themselves lately. I am just not encountering insane cultural adjustment at the same pace right now. Yet am I becoming too serious? Does being a missionary cause you to be serious? Do the things I now think about so much cause me to be serious? Does getting older make me serious? Or am I just not trusting in my Savior enough for my joy to spill out? I don't know. I mentioned to a veteran missionary the other day of the accusation. She said she was accused of changing in the same way. In some ways, it is true. I think so much about what I saw in Thailand, the many people who needed to know Jesus. The poverty of soul as well as materially that I befriended. I dream of Thailand at least once a week lately. Last night, I returned there in my dream--speaking in Thai again. So, let me know when you hang out with me if I have become serious. And pray that the JOY of the Lord would overtake me yet again and I would know how to rest in Christ!
1 comment:
i did not feel this way when i was with you. i should see you again soon so i can reevaluate though.
i'm sure it is hard seeing all the hard stuff you have seen too, i would think that would make one more serious. i will pray that the joy of the lord overtakes you, but then again. there are seasons in life for reasons.
you are loved.
Post a Comment