While running today, I decided to explore my new neighborhood since I've finally stood still for at least a week and a half. As I ran around a new street, this dog was in his yard and came running toward me. Melanie of two years ago would have kept running, said hi to the dog, and went on her merry way. Melanie of today stopped, stood still, and tried to look not afraid. I have been conditioned.
If you don't remember my stories, Thailand has MANY stray street dogs. You cannot jog down the street. (Even if you did, you would look wierd. Everyone uses the parks.) One day there, I tried to run in my teammates' neighborhood, thinking that would be better. Two dogs saw me as a threat and started running after me barking ferociously and biting at my heels. I had to stop running completely not to be seen as a threat. And quite a few dogs in Mahathai were scary too. So, now I have a healthy fear of dogs. (Ok, maybe a little unhealthy.)
Cultural Insight: For those of you desiring to know, stray dogs exist all over Bangkok on the roads because of the Thai people's belief in Karma. That dog, they believe, used to be person. He did something wrong in his last life and reincarnated as a dog. If the people treat these dogs badly, their bad Karma might make them reincarnate as something worse than a human in their next life. Therefore, the dogs are left on the streets to fend for themselves.
No comments:
Post a Comment