Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Home Sweet Home

I'm home safe. The plane ride was fine, just long. My calves got all swollen which reminded me of a bad episode on Grey's Anatomy when they had to cut his legs open while he was still alive. But thankfully I didn't have to do that to myself. I sat beside a Vietnamese-American from my hometown of Charlotte. I had a hard time figuring out what language to speak with her.

First impressions of America:
-a lot of English! I turned my head in the Chicago airport anytime someone screamed something. I looked like a crazy person.
-coldness! I have been so cold inside my parents' house. Even the toilet seats are cold!
-carpet! I love this invention. It's so soft and warm.
-air conditioning! I don't have to turn it on when I go in my bedroom. It's always on. That is so strange.
-driving! I love it and it is easy to remember how. I've only had one incident of almost being run over by a semi, but that was because I was talking on the phone.
-my family! It is just like a dream to see them again, but also normal at the same time. My nephew was so excited, he cried when he saw me coming down the escalator at the airport.
-I miss Thailand.

Please be praying for my aunt. She's in ICU after not recovering well from back surgery. I may have to drive my mom to Raleigh to see her tomorrow.

1 comment:

Lorraine said...

Wow!! Welcome home to this cold toilet-seated place! You are such a wonderful blogger and it's just as much fun to hear your impressions of America as it is to hear your impressions of Thailand. I remember being struck by the choices of potato chips in the grocery store - I was completely overwhelmed and couldn't even pick any out to take home! Can't wait to see you! Love ya, Lorraine, Steve, Tian