Sunday, April 12, 2009

Thai New Year

Tomorrow, I hope all of you celebrate the Thai New Year, or SongGran. For this holiday, you should pull out all your water guns, hoses and water buckets and have huge water fights. At least that is what we do here for this three day water festival. It is a time of "atonement" in the Buddhist holidays, for everyone to turn a new leaf and "be clean." Pray for opportunities for us to share the good news of Jesus amidst this Thai holiday.

I'll be going home with Kieow today through Thursday to her parents' home about 10 hours away by car. Please pray for safety on the roads. Pray also for humility for me amidst language and other cultural things. Kieow was one of the first fruits of our ministry in Thailand, being a Christian through our English school ministry about eight years ago. She has been working for us two years in mercy ministry. Pray for her family who aren't yet believers.

And as a sidenote, this has been a tough week for me. My cousin, 13 years old, died in a car accident this past week. He was young and the news was hard. Hard to receive from across the world. Yet many heard the Gospel through this tragedy. Pray also for my health during this hottest month of the year. Struggling with fevers and strep throat already has made it a tough week. Thank you so much.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

My dear friend! I'm so sorry for the trials that have been going on in your life! I will indeed pray for these things - Happy Easter! He is Risen!!!! He is Risen Indeed!!!

Kim said...

I am so sorry about your cousin. I know this is hard to bear being so far away. Prayers for you and your family.

Barbara said...

Dear Melanie, I am so very sorry about the tragic accident with your cousin. May the God of all comfort, comfort you and wrap His arms around you as you grieve apart from your family. May the joy of Easter fill your heart and be all the more meaningful to you.

Have fun squirting water with Kieow! God bless!