Thursday, April 2, 2009

I am a White Truck.

My friend in Asheville spots all the hilariously wierd bumperstickers found in our beloved city. I felt it only fair to write about one I saw in Bangkok.

Riding down the road, I spotted a black SUV with a bumper sticker stuck on the back saying "I am a white truck." "What?" I said out loud and pointed out the truck to my English students sitting with me in the car. Instead of the apparent contradiction or lack of English skills I presume that truck driver had, my friends told me a much stranger but appropriate story to Thai culture...

The driver of the truck might have gotten into an accident one day. He felt that the spirits were not happy with him causing his accident, so he went to see a Buddhist monk. The monk told him that in order to change his "luck", he'd need to buy a white truck. So, instead of buying a white truck, the guy decided he'd just buy a sticker that says "I am a white truck." to put on his black truck. So interesting, huh?

But do you know the female heavyweight Olympic gold medalist from Thailand had her name completely changed out of supposedly "bad luck." The monk she went to see gave her a new name to give her "good luck" and then she won this past year. Doesn't this story give you new light into the religious views here?

No comments: