One of the treats here is babysitting our fellow missionaries' kids. The Mills live in a nice neighborhood right down the road from us. Their kids, my new American intern housemate, and I visited the park after dinner. What's exciting about their neighborhood is this cute little park where they can meet their neighbors as the heat dissapates for the day.
As we came over with the stroller and the trailing four year old, I heard them talking about us, AND I UNDERSTOOD IT! Miracles do happen. I loved being able to understand her talking about us. The Thais always have to talk about how big foreigners are, always remarking that we're fat and tall. And then they remark on the color of our skin, it's so white. Everyone here wants white skin. They sell all their lotions with whitening cream for that reason. But anyway, I decided to talk back to them and interrupt their talking about us. We had a fun conversation in Thai about who's kids Asa and Emmy were. They thought Rachel and I were their moms. And mostly the basics easy stuff like how long I've lived here. So fun.
Thanks to God for each step in learning this language. I'm FAR from fluent but I can eavesdrop!
1 comment:
This is so fantastic!! I love hearing about you understanding the language already. God is so good!! That must be exciting, so congrats!! Also..whitening lotion?? Hahaaa. I am so white so this makes me laugh. How different we are.
Post a Comment