1. The sight of a drugstore is so exciting because its the only sign you can read.
2. Conversations end when you can't understand anything the other person is saying.
3. You give yourself homework of reading for thirty minutes.
4. In thirty minutes, you can read six sentences.
5. Your head hurts all the time. Is it from the studying or the nodding even though you don't understand?
6. You speak in Thai to Americans.
7. Kindergarten teachers become miracle workers in your eyes.
8. While kids talk to you, you know you can't understand a word they're saying so you just think about how cute they are.
9. When you talk, people laugh.
10. Writing in hieroglyphics doesn't seem so hard anymore. :)
4 comments:
Keep it up! I still love the part about your 30 minutes of reading homework. Such a teacher. And you can speak to me in Thai anytime! Just know that I have NO IDEA what you're saying.
Love you!
Ah! Beautifully stated! One to add: When you play Scrabble in the language you are learning - and in an hour, four of you can only come up with 10 words! Sigh...
Ah, Melanie, I love it! Perfectly stated! I bet you can also read a sign for a mattress store. And as for #5- another part of the reason your head hurts is breathing the lovely exhaust as you walk downtown:)...
and I'll always remember our hot dogs at the top of the sky train stairs- such a special moment.
Very nice list. My experience with #2 has been more usually that the conversations end when I run out of vocabulary to make contributions, though.
Post a Comment