Friday, December 28, 2007

"Bai Tiaw"

In Thai, "Bai Tiaw" means going on a vacation. Ying, one of my roommates, has invited me to visit her family with her and then go to Koh Chang, elephant island! Its an honor to be invited to someone's home. When Thais want to hang out with you here, its not usually at their house. Usually, you meet in a common place. Due to social classes and honor values, they would rather not devalue you or feel lower themselves. However, when you are invited over, you must bring a gift. The gifts can be pomegranates, cookies, etc...

While all my roommates work with our team in Bangkok, they all live in very contrasting areas to this big city of street dogs and traffic. Ying's family is planting a church to the East about 4 hours by bus...I think its near the water, because I'm expected to eat lots of fish. My week should include some fishing with her dad and herself...lots of their food comes that way. Then Ying and I take off for a few days on our own to an island to enjoy the beach.

Please pray for my week. May I be humble, encouraging, a servant, gracious, patient with my language abilities, and communicate clearly. Happy New Year!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Happy New Year to you too! Thank you so much for the elephant for my classroom (the postcard- lol!)- I know the children will love it. I just wanted you to know you are in my thoughts and prayers continually and I LOVE reading your blog- I drop by all the time. Enjoy your outing and stay safe!

mikepettengill said...

Very cool. Enjoy the cultural experience, love and fellowship.

Miss you and pray for you.

Anonymous said...

Melanie! I'm so proud of you! I love reading your blogs they are very inspiring!