Monday, December 24, 2007

Caroling to Bangkok

The merchants sat on the counters at the market cheering after we finished our round of "Joy to the World." Possibly ten aisles of fish vendors, fried pork sellers, and other food assortments were serenaded Saturday night by our team as we caroled our neighborhood. We sang on the corner to two noodle shops. On to the slum community, we caroled to those surprised by our coming, "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" (Raw Khwaamsuk Wan Christmas).

The motorcycle taxi drivers, all fifteen of them at their normal part of the market, etch in my mind the most. The angels of the Lord chose to sing of Jesus's coming to the shepherds in the field. I'd say this motley crew of motorcycle taxi drivers would be an excellent modern day comparison in our Bangkok neighborhood. Hanging out all day, sipping on whiskey, waiting to cart people from their bus stops to their homes, these guys worked. As we sang to them, I was excited to think how we are here now also singing of Jesus's coming to these guys. May all those people one day understand the reason.

Today is Christmas Eve. I'm celebrating at my team leader's house with their family. And as I bought fruit at the stand, vegetables at the market, and got on the bus and motorcycle taxi to their house, I desired so much to awaken all these Thais to what tomorrow is! Keep on praying for all of Thailand!