I had a friend ask me that once and I felt like I said I was. I remember discussing that once with a friend at my new church about how you best get to know people. I told her that she'll really know me when I cry in front of her. Well, that didn't take long with her then, and it hasn't taken long here in Thailand.
Yep, already cried in front of three of my teammates. But hey, now we know I'm a real person who's really taking this culture shock hard at times. Its hard to be diminished to maybe a three year old's social skills. All I can do around all my new Thai friends, neighbors, and the like is smile. Yep, I can barely pronounce hi.
I did try to notice the people around me today, which is hard sometimes because I've been so tired. I have a fruit stand right across the street from our apartment. The guy stands out there from mid morning until late evening. I greeted him and did the "Wai" (like a small bow), and he smiled pretty big and returned it. But then I realized that the "Wai" is what you do only first to those of higher age or class. I should have just said hi. See, I can't even do that right! But either way, at least I was able to smile and get a smile in return.
6 comments:
I love you! I love you! I love you! We're praying for you! Keep pressing on toward the goal.
Hey stud. You are there because God picked you. So cry, pray, and try to figure it all out. But, know that in the very near future you will surprise yourself.
Continue to seek to honor God and you will move forward.
Love the people, learn from them, make mistakes and laugh at yourself.
Don't forget to give yourself an emotional and physical break.
All our love from Costa Rica.
And always remember - you just can't do it YET!!! give yourself a break and the ability to make LOTS of mistakes - remember the million mistakes? Hey - you've already started the countdown :-)
Erin
oh, i love your giant tears! you remind your team they are pretty honored to get to see those tears.
i'm proud of you and very much admire you for diving in and for staying real. it's the harder and better road, for sure.
Im HONORED to be your teammate...and so glad you are here. Crying happens all the time...it's cathartic and a good thing;) You are precious in His sight. And ours too.
Melanie,
You never got to meet me, but I am enjoying your blog. I wish we were there to welcome you to the team, but God had other plans. I love watching people go through all the firsts in Thailand and loved helping people settle in. Just relax and enjoy it all. It is hard but there will come a day when you will laugh at all these first days and they will become a precious memory to you. We all cried at some point. :) Hey if we are honest we all still do many times. I miss Thailand so much and will enjoy seeing it through your eyes here!
Kim Cunningham..former missionary to the team but still a big cheerleader!
Post a Comment