Saturday, September 5, 2009

Are you good with chopsticks?

Seeing that I'm back from Asia, everything thinks I should be excellent at using chopsticks. I do feel better at them, but Thai people only use chopsticks with noodle soup "gooey-tee-aw." And that is not an easy feat. Thais actually use spoons and forks to eat everything--a fork in the left hand, a spoon in the right. The spoon is sometimes used for the purposes of cutting to, like a knife. But only what we would call the "big spoon." I forgot all about little spoons 'til we got back. I know I'm supposed to eat my cereal with a small spoon, but I just like to use the big spoons for everything now. Strange, small, and unusual fact.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i've always used the big spoons....does that mean i've always been thai?!?

Crystal said...

ha, ha, Rachel...why am I not surprised?! I love the big spoon and fork...I still do it here...it's just easier...makes perfect sense (and my boys LOVE it too!)
Could go for a HUGE bowl of khaaw soi right about now...how 'bout you?!

Emily Bradford Routon said...

melanie,

sounds like you are going to have to keep practicing...