Friday, November 14, 2008

Between the Refrigerator and the Buddhist Shrine

Last night, with my portable white board leaning against the refrigerator, I sat on the floor facing my three English students. In Mahathai community, I've been volunteering my services of English to the adults there, hoping to get to know them. Yesterday was the first day of class in one of their houses. Three nice ladies, all moms of teenagers I hang out with on Fridays, and I struggled through English. I realized they had no foundation for English at all. I mean, we spent a good ten minutes on how to say hello and what does it mean.

At one point, I leaned back to relax. What was a leaning against? Teem's Buddhist shrine! The statues of gods, tigers, and elephants were looking at me. What a memory. And what a opportunity to make better relationships with these women. Pray for me as I think like a teacher about how to go about the lessons. And pray for the souls of these women, that they'll come to know Jesus.

No comments: