Today while walking, I was just sulking. Ugh, it's early....ugh, why am I here...ugh, why am I feeling like this, God? While looking ahead, an orange-robed monk was walking toward me on the same side of the road. Oh, it's 6:30am, the monks are out for their alms walking. Passing a road on the right, a older woman was kneeling, holding up her offerings for the monk who would reach her soon, pleading under her breath toward her god. She feels like me today. Why were we given this life? What are we to do with it? Who are we? Kneeling and pleading for relief.
The monk ahead had turned, and stood over another neighbor. Chanting in the Pali language, this young man bestowed on her blessings in exchange for her offerings. She kneeled before him with hopes of these blessings.
My heart breaks. I should see this every morning. The reminder of our inability to be God ourselves. The inability to make ourselves better. God jolted me with the reminder of how He came to us. He sent His son to die for us. For those ladies on their knees, for that monk, and for me. Forgive me for my complaining. Thank you, God, for your gift. Please help me to share it with everyone around me here.
6 comments:
I've been praying for those monks! :)
right on girl
Thanks for sharing your heart Melanie. It is good to hear that I am not the only one to wrestle with God about my life. I guess, a stay at home mom or a missionary in Thailand we all wonder sometimes the meaning behind our lives and what God is going to do with us.
Thank you Melanie, the reminder is good, much much needed over here in BM too.
Hi Melanie, Reading your blog makes me miss Bangkok. I am grateful you are there as Christ's light to all those He surrounds you with. I've tried to email you a few times since I've returned to Chicago. I know your busy I just wanted to see how you were doing.
Deanna
Hi Melanie! Reading your blog makes me miss Bangkok! I am grateful that God has you there as His Light to all He surrounds you with. I've tried to email you a few time to see how you are doing. I know you are busy. Praying for you!
Love, Deanna
Post a Comment