Monday, August 11, 2008

Keeping My Mouth Shut...

I went to the dentist again today. It seems that Thai food causes my fillings to come out because its never happened before in the US. Between being in a hospital (all dentists and doctors are in hospitals here), having to go to the dentist for a scary reason, and being in a foreign land, my nerves were on edge.

The dentist tells me I have a cavity in my front tooth. Front tooth? Who ever had that before? So...what did I do? Did I keep my mouth open and let her fix it? Did I keep my mouth shut and believe her abilities? No, for some reason, I argued that I didn't have a cavity there! Can you believe me?

In Thailand, the value of speaking indirectly to people is priceless. And I think I'm going backwards in my abilities instead of forwards! I pray so much about that, but I feel like Paul in Romans 7. I do what I don't want to do--talk too much! Let's think together--how could I have handled that indirectly? "Ms. Dentist, Ma'am, could you possibly not keep stabbing at my gum and consider that my teeth were made this way?" Any suggestions, let me know. And then I'll get them translated.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thai dentistry... on your front tooth no less. You are making me a bit nervous! I am eager to hear how this turns out. You are one courageous woman, Melanie!

mikepettengill said...

pray...and stop going to the dentist

trmills said...

how much Coke
you
been
drinkin'?

Unknown said...

Didn't know that you could get a cavity in the front.
And...maybe just asking to explain how that happens, is better, although I think I would have done the same.
Please keep us posted on what happens.