When I first came to Thailand, started language school, and felt the limitations of not being able to communicate, I had a funny dream. I dreamed the government prohibited everyone from speaking. Therefore, everyone only used their hands to communicate! A funny dream that showed how I was feeling at the time.
Since then, God's been helping me. A few indicators that I'm getting better:
1. As the little words go by at the bottom of the TV screen for warnings or advertisements, I try to read them as fast as I can. I'm still a little slow, but I'm getting faster. But I don't know what all they say.
2. When short-term teams come from America, I sometimes translate for them! I can do much better translating someone's Thai to English rather than trying to translate in Thai from English.
3. I tried to pray at our Concert of Prayer this month in Thai. I did it, but it sure wasn't lengthy, and it wasn't all correct.
4. I filled out my first form in Thai, or at least most of it.
Now that Rhianna, my Thai language-learning partner, has returned to the States for 7 months, its just my Thai tutor and I. Pray that that dynamic will only increase my learning!
4 comments:
it's all greek to me
definitely prayed for your language acquisition today! funny that is what you blob (as my g-pa calls it) was on the same thing! keep up the good work!
Sounds like good progress to me...a year ago you knew how many Thai words??? Congrats on such great accomplishments!
hi mel, just checking in on you. :)
Post a Comment