Friday, March 28, 2008

What does "waiting in line" mean to you?

Since I was young, I was taught to wait in line directly behind the person in front of you. Surprisingly here, you might find someone standing right beside you in line, though they are waiting to go after you. If you are waiting at the Skytrain, the line looks very polite and straight until those doors open. Its everyone for themselves. If you were the first person in line, don't be surprised if someone steps right past you inside. And lastly, if you are waiting at the Embassy or ATM even in line, don't be surprised if someone jumps right in front of you. Though to us it seems that our bodies positioned behind the last person looks like we're next, its not seen that way here. I've learned its cultural to be somewhat aggressive in both posture and speech in order to follow the order of waiting.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like New York! In Costa Rica I find it's similar to your experience. I guess we just have to learn to stake our claim!

Border Ray said...

Oh, yes, it's hard for me to be that aggressive...probably not so hard for Mike P. though.