Monday, January 14, 2008

Junk Food Fatalism

I confess, I ate at McD's today. Its really a wierd situation I call "Junk Food Fatalism." Before I came to Thailand, I had prepared myself for not having anything of luxury here. The missionary reputation is that of living in a hut with only rice to eat, but do remember I live in Bangkok. The city of skyscrapers and public transportation. Yet, I was still surprised at the first sighting of a Dairy Queen or a McD's. I keep thinking any day now, they will disappear because they don't really exist. I am in Thailand, how can I be able to eat a blizzard or a McNugget? Yet, I do. Soon, the excitement will wear out hopefully, but until then, I will enjoy my McNugget every so often after a whole four hours of Thai language where my face was so scrunched up the whole time from confusion, I'm positive I have gained wrinkles. The funny thing today was that McD's was playing "O Night Divine" today, two weeks past Christmas! So funny.

1 comment:

Holly said...

YEAH for McD's!!! Have a fry every now and then for me! Can't manage a Blizzard without you! Love and miss you!