Saturday, July 28, 2007

The End of Another Teaching Position

>
Our second, and last week of English class, doubled in attendance! Instead of one student, we had two! Marisol, seen in the picture, is a Colombian who is vacationing here and is a decent English speaker. She's a Christian and I really enjoyed sharing and listening as we talked about what God's doing in Colombia and Thailand.

We ended our English classes with a brunch at the local diner. Recently, during training afternoons, I read a Chinese student's impression of America, and it was insightful. As we walked to the diner, I thought of all the cultural mistakes we were going to make. There was no way to stop it, it was going to happen.

Overall, brunch was smooth. We struggled to converse with simple English. If a teammate told a story, two of us would then have to turn to our English students and explain again. We ordered Kwai Fong Ho banana pancakes. She spoke of how big the pancake was the whole time and would not even open the "too sweet" syrup. Expected, but I hope she enjoyed herself. Marisol had to ask the Spanish waitress to speak in English with her only because she was practicing. :)

Both eager students will continue English classes with Living Faith Church. As MTW missionaries, we were offering ourselves to serve them and also learn some about English teaching. Our trainer trains new English teachers this Sunday to begin classes themselves soon. May our short-term work produce long term effects for God's kingdom!

2 comments:

trmills said...

Hey Melanie, I was struck with your comment "We are going to make cultural mistakes. It will happen." So true! Emmy and I navigated a visit to the local wat with her preschool class this week to celebrate a Buddhist holiday that's happening right now. I felt like I was stumbling through it, wanting to be respectful and loving yet wanting to be a Christian in the midst of it...so hard! But an amazing opportunity.

We'll see you soon...let us know how we can help you between now and then.

Rhianna

Rachel said...

I'm singing STIM songs in my head after reading your post. Oh so true. As you mess up culturally, may the locals give you grace, may you receive the Lord's grace, and may you extend grace to yourself! I cheer you on sister!