A few days ago, I took one of my teammates to the doctor. I hadn't been to this neighborhood clinic yet, but was trying to translate for my friend while we were there. A doctor came in to look at her toe and clean it up. At one point, I said, "I think you have a good doctor, doesn't he look like a good doctor?" We agreed and kept talking in English. Shortly after, the doctor looks up and speaks in perfect English. I'm shocked! He can speak English well! Thankfully I didn't say anything bad while talking to my friend in English.
It's quite a treat to be able to speak a language that no one around you understands. We can talk on the bus in English while everyone around just speaks Thai or not enough English to understand us. But I've gotten spoiled and have forgotten at times to think inside my head.
The other day, a girl was walking past me at the mall on the way to the bathroom. I said out loud, "Oh, I like her toenails!" Then she surprisingly giggled and smiled as she passed me. She understood me! I've got to start watching my mouth!
2 comments:
at least it was a compliment about her toes! LOL!!
Melanie I like your toenails! Thanks for always keeping me laughing.
Post a Comment